"Do your best and be a little better then you are."
Pres. Gordon B. Hinkley

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Go Green!

I hope everyone was able to see the Oprah show today. It has some really helpful things that we all can all do to keep us and our children safe from all the toxins that are out there and also help our Earth. I really feel that Heavenly Father depends on us Mothers to protect our children and also our own bodies from harm. And out of respect to God I feel like we should all do our part in respecting the Earth that he created.
I loved this segment with Julia Robert and Sophie Uliano's and totally want to go buy her book, Gorgeously Green. She talked a lot about buying organic to help reduce the toxins and pesticides in our food. I think the best way to do that is to start our own garden. My Dad just started one and I can't wait to be able to partake. This way we know exactly what we are putting in our food. Also to be aware of the things we put on our bodies some of them are full of chemicals. One hint they said if you can't pronounce it, it's probably not a good idea to use. They also talked about a great way to prevent waste and help out your own garden. Go to Oprah.com and read all about it. They also had a great concoction for cleaning our food which I can't wait to try out.

Sophie Uliano's Veggie Cleaner Spray
1 cup water
1 cup distilled white vinegar
1 Tbsp. baking soda
20 drops of grapefruit seed extract Combine all ingredients in a large container. Then, transfer to a spray bottle with a pump. Spray mixture on produce, and rinse thoroughly after 5 to 10 minutes.


I loved Sandie's bit too. I loved the all organic cleaning spray . I'm so going to do that. I've been buying Method but this sounds better and way cheaper.

Recipe for a great streak-free windows..

-3 tablespoons of vinegar

-1/3 of a teaspoon of pure liquid vegetable soap

-2 cups of water

Mix it up in a spray bottle and as Sandra would say it cleans your windows like crazy!

Does any one know of a good water bottle that isn't made out of plastic?

And most importantly if anything needs to get GREEN its the vaccines. Jim Carry is heading the rally in DC on June 4 to demand that they clean up the vaccines. I feel like this should be highest on the list of first priorities in the Green movement. Go to your legislature and demand that we clean up our vaccines. We need to make sure what we are injecting into our precious little ones are safe and not full of all the junk they put in them. I know I need to get a life but I can't help it. Go GREEN!!!

9 comments:

Ali said...

I love all the things you put on here i read them all. keep up the research so i don't have to and can just read yours. thanks girl you rock. love ya

Hess Fam said...

Pretty soon Abb, you are going to be an Obama supporter too! J/K! (I had to write that.)
I too think we can all do our part to 'clean it up'!. It's kind of overwhelming to know where to start but doing a little is better than nothing! I want to visit John's garden next time I'm in town! I bet they'll be making some killer salsa!

Hess Fam said...

OH...and Happy Birthday to little John. He is the cutest birthday boy!

Hess Fam said...

No need to help you! You are always passionate in what you believe in and that's what is important! Love you!

Brittney Smith said...

I'm so sad my TiVO did not record this episode. I think Crew was messing with the channels at the time. Thanks for the info though on your blog. I agree we need to all make some changes. Happy Birthday to John. When do you come to Mesa??

The Thompson's said...

wOw LOT'S OF GREAT INFO ONCE AGAIN! THANKS ABBY!

havensmama said...

Loved the post Abby!! I missed the show, but love to be as green as possible. Just take baby steps so it doesn't seem overwhelming. I think you are for sure on the right track to spreading green goodness. I have heard and am about to purchase a reusable stainless steel water bottle "Klean Kanteen"
http://www.kleankanteen.com/. They also have a kids size for replacing sippy cups. There is also another sippy I like called foogo by thermos. If you want the most adorable BPH free baby bottle "green to grow" is to die for. Love ya!!

sara said...

Abby-
Way to be an activist instead of a pacifist!
To be quite honest I'm currently more of a pacifist - but we have changed out our light bulbs and we do recycle, and have earth friendly cleaner, and buy organic occasionally (maybe I'm not doing SO bad)- but how I would love to have a garden! I'm going to plant a few things this year...It's tough having so short a growing season here! My in-laws have a beautiful garden and fruit trees GALORE...and everything tastes amazing compared to what is at the market. You're gonna love your Dad's garden!!!!

Aby Runyan said...

Abby,
You don't know me but my name is Aby Runyan too. I found your site while testing out Google Blog Search, I typed in our last name Runyan. Almost right away when I saw your blog I thought you might be LDS, which I am as well. I confirmed it when I clicked on your link for Mom & Dad Runyan and saw your family in front of a temple.
It's odd how some people are connected in ways like this. Also, I have been stressing and praying about the whole vaccination issue. My daughter Capri, who is not autistic, suffered from
long speech delay. She didn't really talk until she was over 3. I always felt that the vaccines may have had something to do with it. Now with my baby, Sable, I have agonized over getting her shots. She is 8 months and is only just had her second round. The day I took her in to get those last shots I was so nervous. I held her and said a prayer, she got very still and the Spirit's calming presence came over me. I knew she would be ok. I talked to the nurse for a long time about the risks and she insisted that they were safe. I trusted her then, but now after reading your blog I'm not so sure. I really don't know what to do because I want my kids to go to public school but I know they can't go unless they've had all their shots.
This is a long comment for somebody you don't even know, but somehow it feels like a connection that may be an answer to prayer.
You can check out my blog at:
runyanfam.blogspot.com
You'll see I'm not some weirdo!
Thanks for your info,
Aby Runyan