"Do your best and be a little better then you are."
Pres. Gordon B. Hinkley

Monday, January 14, 2008

Happy Birthday Dad!

Today is my Dad's 62nd birthday. Wasn't he the cutest little boy. He was born on January 14, 1962. Here are some fun facts about my Dad.
-He loves animals. Anybody that grew up with me can remember Sophie & Gus and the Rabbit. We all wanted to eat as well as they did.
-He can eat the same food over and over again. He used to go to Mint Thai everyday for over a year. He would just walk in and they would bring him his order without him ordering. Some other food crazes were Cream of Wheat, Strawberry Short Cake, and Mexican food with Ted.
-He is a twin.
-He thinks we get our tan skin from him. (maybe we do, he can get pretty dark but look at my Mom)
-He is so generous. He would give you his shirt off his back.
-He loves his bedroom and his TV.
-He always wears Levi's and for the longest time he would only where LEE, we finally got him to change over to Gap.
-He is totally superstitious. I remember when the Sun's were in the finals he would only sit on the edge of the bed because he knew if he moved they would lose and it would be his fault.
-He's a fighter! After his stroke he battled for his life and won and made a remarkable recovery.
-He's the best father anyone could ask for!

My dad loved Todd's football games. He was such a huge support to him. He loves sports, he loved going to my brothers games and then when I was in HS he would go support my guy friends at their games. He even came to most of my Swim meets even though I was a joke of a swimmer.
He loves his grand kids. He is the greatest Grandpa. Joseph loves him. This is a pictures of My Dad and Joseph on Halloween in 05.
We named our second son John after my Dad. We hope John becomes at man like him. John absolutely LOVES my dad. He would look for him and crawl up on him and give him loves.

Happy birthday Dad! I could never have asked for a better Dad. You have always been there for me and always supported my decisions. You raised me in the gospel and always taught me to be honest. I could have never asked for anything more. Happy Birthday Dad, I love you!

16 comments:

Cassie Simonton said...

Tell you dad "Happy Birthday" for me! He is such a great guy, its good to see pictures of him...it's been a long time since I've seen him, he still looks like he did 10yrs ago!

sara said...

What a nice post Abby! I didn't know/remember he was a twin! The picture of him as a little boy is so cute and priceless. I think I remember the year he was on the Thai food kick! Yum. It's no wonder your house was 'the place' to be at - your parents are wonderful.

Kippy said...

Sweet post Abby. I do think of your dad (and mom) as thee nicest. And just for the record to all those who read this post, you were one HECK of a swimmer!!

shell said...

too sweet abby. i didnt' know your dad was a twin!! that's crazy. i hope you are doing well. and MHS swimteam rocks. don't belittle yourself int hat purple -ultra flattering- swimsuit.

Ra-call-dee... said...

That is an awesome tribute! very thoughtful. Your dad is great, I have only met him twice but that was enough to see how important he is in your life! I hope you are well!

Marnie said...

Happy Birthday John! Ab, you do have a great DAD. It's been too long since I've seen you and your family! --and everyone else in AZ for that matter. What a great tribute!

Anonymous said...

Love John! He is always so nice to me. I love his food kicks - cracks me up. He was always so nice to let us hang out at your house in high school, even if he didn't want us there. I never knew he was a twin. Are they identical? I'm so glad he didn't give up after his stroke. What an inspiration he is!

Lance and Becky said...

What a great dad you have! Happy Birthday!

Nat said...

My favorite kick was the texas sheet cake kick!! Talk about generous, he took me on a cruise for heaven's sake! Your dad has always been so nice to me and a great example of how to be respectful of others. LOve him. Hope had a GREAT birthday.

Chad and Laura said...

Abby- Thanks for the comment on my blog! You are to nice. Your family is so cute as well. I secretly have been looking at your blog for monthes now. Your an amazing mom and an example to me. Thanks
Laura

harmon family said...

Looks like you all had a great Christmas. Your Dad is a great man, he has always been someone I admired.

Amanda said...

thanks for your post to my blog, and yes, i am hating "McCan't" too right now!!! dirty politics--irresponsible!!!

theniufamily said...

You are so cute to right all that about your dad. He is a great man, and wow he is getting old!!! That picture at MCC brought back great memories!

Lacee said...

I love the comment about your dad and his animals!! I totally remember how all the boys would comment on how your dad’s pets eat better than they have ever eaten!! Too Funny!! I agree, your dad is such a good guy. It was so fun seeing you while you were down for Christmas. We'll have to have another lunch date with all us girls next time you come down. Hope all is well!!

the cummard family said...

lol to your swimming comment. you were NOT a joke of a swimmer! you know you rocked the team suit....i still have ALL OF THEM-sick.

Lana and Terry said...

Abs: Your tribute to your dad was so nice! He and your Mom are the best. How I miss our trips to Cally and the "condo." He has always been so nice to Holly and we have loved doing things with your parents. We really admire the fact that he has hung in there with all of his adversities. You Nielsons are truly the "bomb!"